1.09.2013

"To pray as only laundry can"

laundry in Barcelona
When I went to Barcelona in November of 2011 to spend a few days with my sister, I was really hoping to get a beautiful photo of laundry hanging on a window line. And can you believe it--this was the very first photo I took, just outside of the train station within minutes of my arrival. But I didn't know it was this sweet until I was thinking about laundry today, remembered this photo and decided to pull it out and work on it (instead of doing the wash!). I wish hanging out my laundry was this pretty!

Beauty, sacredness in the ordinary. I have been craving this very thing. And then my dear friend Amie sent me these song lyrics just yesterday:
"Holy as a Day is Spent"

Holy is the dish and drain 
The soap and sink, and the cup and plate
And the warm wool socks, and cold white tile
Showerheads and good dry towels
And frying eggs sound like psalms
With a bit of salt measured in my palm
It's all a part of a sacrament
As holy as a day is spent

Holy is the busy street
And cars that boom with passion's beat
And the check out girl, counting change
And the hands that shook my hand today
And hymns of geese fly overhead
And stretch their wings like their parents did
Blessed be the dog, that runs in her sleep
To catch that wild and elusive thing

Holy is the familiar room
And the quiet moments in the afternoon
And folding sheets like folding hands
To pray as only laundry can
I'm letting go of all I fear
Like autumn leaves of earth and air
For summer came and summer went
And holy as a day is spent

Holy is the place I stand
To give whatever small good I can
And the empty page and the open book
Redemption everywhere I look
Unknowingly we slow our pace
In the shade of unexpected grace
And with grateful smiles and sad lament
As holy as a day is spent
And morning light sings "Providence"
As holy as a day is spent

Gorgeous. I'm soaking in these words today and more like them as I've discovered Carrie Newcomer's soothing, soul-stirring music. These lyrics are from a song on her newest CD. You can listen to some of her music on her website; this album is definitely going to the top spot on my wishlist.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. Those tender words reach my soul this morning. Along with that gorgeous photo. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been a God gift to my heart today. So good to see you dear friend!
    Needed some time to regroup and enjoy family. To savor the moments, let the new diagnosis' for our little G settle some more, search for answers and help. Giving it back to God, its all grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Sadee. I love that photo. And these lyrics... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Beauty, sacredness in the ordinary." My heart resonates so strongly with this truth - what a joy it is to embrace each day! Thank you for sharing, Sadee - can't wait to see how this is expressed in your future art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!