11.02.2012

Life, Love, Family: Sometimes it's Messy!

green chevron heart collage green chevron heart collage moth wing sketch

Thanks so much for your sweet words on last week's post! Here are a few peeks at the new heart I've been working on--it will have wings, of course. I decided to try a new design element in my collage--an intricate chevron pattern this time, rather than my usual checkerboard pattern. I think I'm hooked.

The mess on my worktable lately seems to resemble the mess of my heart. I've mentioned that my girls started Kindergarten this fall, a big change which has led my emotions on a bit of a roller-coaster ride! Even though I miss my girls during the day, having time to work has been amazing and I've been so engrossed in my new projects that it's hard to pull myself out of the "zone" to surface and connect at home and online. I suspect (and hope!) that this difficulty will pass as I develop a routine for my work life and my home life (even though working from home complicates things).

My daughters are loving Kindergarten, but I think my oldest is experiencing acute growing pains that just might be very similar to my own. She has discovered the fun and friendship of the classroom and struggles to pull herself away from her play everyday to come back home to her family and the routine of home. She is testing the boundaries in every way, leaving her Mama and Daddy quite exhausted! But I know that this too is just a phase. We will just dig deeper into our hearts to parent with love and consistency. Soon we will claim a small victory and move on to a different battle.

And this is an important thing--to remember the small victories, to hold them aloft in our hearts so they don't get covered over and forgotten in the new day's problems.

What are your small victories this week? I'd love you to share them in the comments so I can help you celebrate!


Linking with Studio JRU and Paint Party Friday.


22 comments:

  1. While at the hospital with my son, I was holding him, trying to soothe is pain, and also holding his little sister at the same time. A nurse came in and proclaimed that I had my hands full and must be exhausted. Without even thinking, I said, "Yep! It's what I've always wanted!" And I meant it! Even in the messiness and exhaustion, I'm thrilled to be living this life full of all my dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beautiful, Amie. I SO admire you as a Mama (and as a friend too, of course)! We are still praying for your boy and for your whole family. Sending you hugs.

      Delete
  2. I would never have the patience for that chevron pattern, but it looks beautiful!

    Growing is such a beautiful pleasure/pain process. At least you know the result will be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Caitlyn! That's exactly what this little green heart it about--growth, and the pain and brokenness that sometimes goes into the process. And the result of pruning is always wild growth beyond imagination! :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous new work! Love that you are exploring the chevron pattern!
    My small victory this week was sending out my first email newsletter...a goal I've had for a long time now! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, great job, Mary! I've got to go sign up for this! An email newsletter is on my list of "to do's" as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm loving the looks of that artwork above! Beautiful.
    With kids, I know consistency is one of our hardest issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chevron pattern on the heart -

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are enjoying the extra time for creating... I still have to set an alarm to remind me to pack up and go and do pick up... and Phantom only has 1 year of school left... this work is going to be lovely... excited to see it unfold...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! You really still need an alarm to remind you? I guess I won't be counting on the pick-up becoming "routine," then. :) Today 2 hours, and then 4 hours passed like it was only minutes!

      Delete
  7. That is an intricate pattern... I love it! Love the green colors too! Thank you for the reminder to remember the small victories. My victory... varnishing 2 more originals today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm with you, Jennifer. I drag my feet with the varnishing of originals...it usually takes me MONTHS to get to it! So, congrats on your victory! :)

      Delete
  8. That is a trick, making the time. Small victory...having my blog endorsed by someone I really wanted to read it. Little things, mean so much, and it takes only a few seconds to make a difference to someone. Nice work. June Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this chevron style - and what a way to use up those small pieces! Can't wait to see the finished product! *sigh* - victory...check out this link...http://www.shepherdpress.com/gospel/follow-up-dont-treat-your-toddlers-as-their-sins-deserve/ - such a good illustration of, well, shepherding their hearts! I just came across that site this past week, and am thinking of linking it to my website...

    Thinking back to when my sweet tweener was in Kindergarten...each passing day is such a treasure and go by TOO quickly!

    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your paper piecing is beautiful! The small victories add up to be big victories :-)! My small victory was finishing a blanket/quilt for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the colors and textures here are celebration in themselves ! Each small chore I do ,with all my heart, is to show my love for my family ...and my small victories are those moments of the day when my efforts are recognized and I am loved back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Project! Looking forward to exploring your blog more. Life is change indeed. Treasure all enjoy your creative time. Thinking my latest "victory" was signing up for an Art Trunk Show yesterday:) Happy PPF Sadee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son was a very difficult baby and small child to raise. He tested me in every possible way. I just kept telling myself over and over that the character traits that make a terrific adult are hard to deal with in a small child, and all the things that were jerking my nerves the hardest would be things I was proud of later on.

    I think your new heart is gorgeous, and I really love the chevron pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a wonderful thing to remember, Carla! I think of that sometimes too, especially with my youngest, who is VERY strong-willed. She knows what she wants and is determined to get it no matter what. That will DEFINITELY be an amazing trait when she is an adult, but it makes it difficult for me and my husband now! :)

      Delete
  14. This heart will be beautiful...I see that already! Raising kids is a long journey with many ups and downs. Love conquers most problem times! Stay calm...and remember to enjoy them. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! You are right--I've found that staying calm makes ALL the difference! Oh, and I do enjoy them, SO MUCH!!! :) They are precious treasures, and I try to remember that for all the struggles there are 100 more laughs and little victories.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful project you are working on. Life is so full of stages. They soon grow up and visit with you about life and boyfriends and God and raising their own children!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!