9.21.2012

Oh how they grow...

green chalkboard print set little girl

Oh how they grow


girls off to school

Sometimes art imitates life. Other times, life imitates art. 

It's hard to believe that it was four years ago when I painted these little watercolor illustrations, and was pregnant with Eowyn, my oldest daughter. For the initial sketches, I had photographed my friend Esther's little girl Chloe doing various cute-little-girl-things. Then, she was just a little older than Eowyn is now and I was blissfully unaware of what parenting would really be like--and oh, was I in for such a beautiful surprise at how absolutely amazing it would be too!

After our family vacation--a week of fun and lots of reflection--this week I watched my little ones heading off to Kindergarten for the first time. And suddenly it struck me that my life was imitating my art. I am finally to one of the parenting/childhood stages I always dreamed of when I imagined having kids! My little girls are growing up--a little bit at a time, of course--but they are growing up. They are still only two- and three-years-old (almost three- and four- years old!) but it's amazing the difference a week like this can make. They know they are getting bigger, and they are sooo proud. :)

I made it through the week, I did, but I'm still processing! Penelope, my littler one, was testing the waters and watching big sister take the lead; she officially starts in her class on Monday. On Eowyn's first day I was there with her the entire morning, but I was fighting back tears the whole time--and she's my "big" girl! We'll see how I do next week once I have to let my "baby" go too...

But this is what we do, we parents. We send our children out...it wouldn't be fair to keep them entirely to ourselves! Of course, it's still hard to let go (and I know I'm only just getting my feet wet, just a rookie in this letting-go-thing). But it helps me so much, in taking these first steps to let them go a little, to remember that my daughters are precious little souls who each have a light of their own--they are meant to shine so that others may see the brightness of that Love within their hearts!  


Linking with Studio JRU and Paint Party.

27 comments:

  1. Very sweet paintings, photo and post!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard letting them go. At least we only have to do it a little bit at a time, at first. My little boy decided not to take the bus home and decided to walk home today instead. He thought about stopping by Starbucks on his way home, but knew if he would be late his momma would have a "serious heart attack". And by the way, I like how muscle-y my arms look in those pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starbucks?! What kind of drink would he have gotten??? And would he have brought home for you too? Wow, is your little boy growing up! He is SO his own little man.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous paintings and will be sending lots of positive thought your way this week... it is a huge step, but so wonderful when they come home full of stories and ideas to share with you... the after school chats are simply the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! And yes, I am sooo looking forward to the "after-school" bit. We already had some special times last week, stopping to play and sing songs on the swings on the way back to the apartment, gathering fall leaves, and even having some "learning time" in English once we got home--completely instigated by my three-year-old! :)

      Delete
  4. You illustrations are so amazing! Your daughters so adorable!! Always hard to let go...soon you will appreciate the few hours of freedom!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to those hours of freedom! And also looking forward to re-connecting with my daughters everyday when they get home. Thank you and sending hugs back to you!

      Delete
  5. *Sigh* - they do grow up too fast! Tonight sweet tweener is at an overnight "retreat" with her youth group - so strange to have her gone! These days are precious and sweet, and each stage (season?) is to be savored and remembered...

    Blessings friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cindy. The time does fly too quickly! But I feel like being mindful and present as much as I can helps me to be ready for the new season when it comes. That way I'm ready to move ahead, with no regrets. Blessings to you and your family too!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, fun artwork! And yes, there are so many emotions involved as we let our children go - slowly, in little steps. And such fun to watch them learn and develop, becoming all that God created them to be. (Visiting from In the Studio.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your drawing is fantastic! So full of life - and beautifully drawn too. I still remember when my son (now grown up and a dad himself) first went to school. A big moment - in their lives and ours. You might like to share your more orange work on Mandarin Orange Monday in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thsi is such a wonderful post and art- as my granddaughter Maggie started at her Nursery school this week too. She is 2 and 1/2 and strutted in without looking back. Didn't even look at my daughter-in-law all morning. Gulp -that shocked her! We mums have to be strong- very very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my goodness, Maggie sounds so cute! My Penelope is also 2 1/2 and I would also be so shocked if tomorrow she walked in and never looked back. Funny, bravery like that on the part of the child makes it both easier AND harder on the mama!

      Delete
  9. What gorgeous illustrations!!! Yes, letting go can be very difficult but we must, and by doing taht we've given them them roots for grounding and wings to fly. So glad I've joined PPF-it's such a pleasure to be visiting so many creative people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Glad to see you in PPF--welcome!

      Delete
  10. Loving your wonderful illustrations. You are on the first step of letting go which is always difficult. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What good work yours! I love the movement and treatment of clothing as well as the colorful live use. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh Sadee, the watercolor is fantastic!! So many beautiful details in there...
    and i SO understand you on the "letting go" thing. The first "letting go" is always the hardest, but when you see how proud they are of having survived a few hours without you, it gets easier. Sending warm hugs your way... xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending hugs back, Pauline! Thanks for your encouragement. It makes my heart proud to see how proud THEY are!

      Delete
  13. Simply stunning...I am sure you are going to enjoy and cherish each day of their lives now for it is a new beginning for them and for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita! You're right; I find myself savoring the minutes at bedtime and such even more now, knowing that I will be missing them when they're at Kindergarten tomorrow. I guess that's a constant refrain in the song of life--learning over and over again how to appreciate the ones you've been given.

      Delete
  14. Lovely post and so true .. Those illustrations are beautiful! Full of life and energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't help but be inspired by the life and energy of my little girls. I love how it pours into my artwork! :)

      Delete
  15. Hey Sadee thanks for the follow. I absolutely adore this concept, two of my favourite things children and art :) that quote is so true! Thanks for sharing, what a fabulous talent you have.

    Sylvia @ sweetpeasylvie.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning illustrations! Your message brought tears to my eyes! I cried every single time one of my kids went off to kinder! The fun part though is when they start coming home talking about their new friends and the things they learned and you realize how much their world has opened! (And my - how time does fly - My oldest just started driving...eek...another phase of "letting go") Thank you for such a sweet and moving post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the paintings, they are so detailed and so telling. Another phase is the hardest, but then another takes it's place, until she is planning the wedding. Yes, it does go just that fast. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!