5.25.2012

pink house strips

THIS is why I'm loving collage so much lately--my art mixes with the girls' creations, and their creations mix with my art. I enjoy painting with them too, but it's a bit risky to pull out my own delicate watercolor work and sit next to the finger-painters who relish flinging and splattering the colors! And now that I'm thinking about it, what a wonderful lesson to teach my kids--that sometimes paintings aren't too precious to cut up and glue back together in a new and different way!

pink house strips detail

Pink houses in waves

This is a peek at the little touch of strawberry pink I've been piecing together to complete the mixed media piece I posted about here. These will be weathered little beach houses holding fast in the waves. Because I wanted the pieces to fit together perfectly, I used a paper cutter to slice a sloppy pink watercolor painting into the narrow strips. Then I used a ruler and a craft knife to cut precise angles before I glued them to the paper-pattern I'd already cut for the house.

That's all for now! Just wanted to check in and say hi since I've neglected my bloggy friends for two weeks now! We have friends-in-real-life visiting from the US for a week and are soaking up our last few hours with them tonight. I'll check in again this weekend with pictures!!!

Until then, happy weekend and lots of love from Hamburg!

Sadee



Linking up with Studio JRU and Paint Party

18 comments:

  1. i love the idea of creating with your children, i often am too fussy about them being near my "important" art...i think...i might do the same as you have done..thanks for sharing this..popping over from Studio JRU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadee,
    How fun that you paint with your girls!
    Have a great weekend!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm so excited to see more of that art piece.
    And, how lovely that you are creative with your girls.
    Such a gift to have those creative and memory making moments to cherish.
    And, when you glance upon the creative fun all of you make together it can be a reflection and reminder of those precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. One of my little ones cut up some colored paper into a billion-and-one pieces the other day, just 'cause he loves cutting:-) Of course I could not throw it away and hoped to collage with it... but most of it accumulated on the floor, blew all over and became something to sweep up (another activity this particular one likes)before we could "Art" with it. But the cutting was so fun:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 3 year old does that almost every day! I think it's wonderful and I don't even rush to clean it up. But when my hubby gets home, he's like, "what happened?!!"

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely - enjoy your time with the friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pink really looks nice. can't wait to see the finished piece. have fun visiting with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors are brilliant! I love those stripy waves. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward to seeing it all when its finished. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to see the end result of your work. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...LOVE THE PINK WATERCOLOURING...IT LOOKS AMAZING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR...REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE FINISHES PIECE...HAPPY WEEKEND...XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creativity at its best! I also love creating with my kids as it not only brings out the fun part in me but also brings me closer to them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine how special it is for them to paint next to their mom like that! Precious moments and precious memories being made. Love the peek at this new piece. Love the pinks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. creating with the kids is special and I admire how precise you are with these collages... so skilful, but they don't sacrifice your wonderful eye for design or detail... they are just lovely...xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sadee, this looks like so much fun...looking forward to seeing it finished. You can't beat doing art stuff with your kids... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see the finished product...I love the pinks! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your encouraging enthusiasm about this piece! I love creating with my daughters--today is was lying on our bellies on the floor, coloring in coloring books and connecting-the-dots. I think it's been 20 years since I connected-the-dots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOODNESS...I adore this without even seeing the finished product! So happy to stumble upon you via Jennifer's In The Studio.

    Isn't it fun to just color in a coloring book...therapeutic. :) It makes me so happy to meet other creative types who share their love of art and creativity with their families. Happy to meet you Sadee...cute name by the way too! ;) Have a super day!:D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!