5.04.2012

Little birds who are the secrets of living

Sitting in a Treetop
Sitting in a Treetop detail Sitting in a Treetop detail 3 Sitting in a Treetop detail 2

"may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living
whatever they sing is better than to know"

--e.e. cummings

My newest collage-painting is finally finished (I think!) and it's all about my favorite theme, "telling your story"--to stand on tippy-tip-toes at the top of your world and sing your heart out!  After all, our own stories are all that we have--even when they are sometimes ragged and torn --and we should be brave in sharing our broken places with one another, for this dark soil is especially rich for growing genuine friendships and connections that bring encouragement and healing.

"Whatever they sing is better than to know."  I love this line.  And when I discovered this e.e. cummings poem (along with another one here) a couple of weeks ago as I was looking for inspiration to finally finish this piece, I was struck with how it resonated with the idea I already had for this collage.  

In my painting, the song of the bird's heart has been fragmented and roughly reassembled, but he's singing it anyway--and with all of his might!  This is also the song of my heart--Amazing grace, how sweet the sound--the confidence that there is One writing our stories, One working behind the scenes to pull together all of the twists and turns, all of the brokenness and confusion, into a beautiful plot with meaning and purpose

When life looks a bit rough around the edges and I just can't see how all the pieces are ever going to fit together, I pray my heart can still overflow with joy and thankfulness--like the birds of the air (Matthew 6:26) who rely on their Heavenly Father to feed them, who sing praise no matter what . . . because even the tiniest song of faith is so much more valuable than having all the mysteries figured out. 

Much love to all of you this weekend, friends! 
Sadee


Linking up with Studio JRUPaint Party

28 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at not only the beauty of this piece (the color, depth and textures) but the rich meaning in your words and design. This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful colors... i especially love that gorgeous teal tree. and what a perfect poem to capture the essence of your piece. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful piece. there certainly is beauty in mother nature if we take the time to look around and see it and you've captured that so well in this gorgeous whimsical piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem so much, and your finished collage is wonderful. Beautiful textures, shapes, and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words a very open heart! Pretty artwork~ Happy ppf!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words and loving your gorgeous collage. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your work is just gorgeous! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well said and such a neat collage! Thank you for sharing your inspiration... love the "beautiful plot with meaning and purpose". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your papers are beautiful - and I love the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful piece Sadee! I love your inspiration and your meaning behind your work. Love the textures in your tree tops!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much depth here, both in the layers and the meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your collage is gorgeous. Love the message/design/colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The collage painting is just a joy to look at and you surely are developing a unique. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful new piece that lifts the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for a beautiful post. Your collage is amazing and your words make it even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not only is your painting so stunning, but your words are so eloquent and true. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful collage creation with delightful color, words and texture ~ lovely ~thanks, namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely marvelous. I LOVE your textures and composition! AND colors. And words. Your last paragraph is so beautifully said. It reminds me of a Michael Card song: "So surrender the hunger to say I must know, have to courage to say I believe!" I am your newest follower:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is ALWAYS a blessing to come by and hear your heart xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. it
    is
    stunning!

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your colors and textures and your beautiful concept! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this collage, it's so joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sadee, you made my jaw drop, once again..
    Your work is just stunning... and i so love ee cummings, so those words were just perfect there.
    Thanks for sharing with the world. Yes, i also believe in stories. :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, love! your blog, I have become your latest follower. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sadee, I love your recent work. And I really love idea of telling a story with a piece of art. This piece and words... just lovely.
    I hope this finds you well
    - I think of you often!
    xo Joan

    ReplyDelete
  26. A really, really beautiful collage:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have been enjoying your blog, even the header appeals to my heart! I feel like I am soaking in beautiful colors and textures! What happened to your storyteller series? Have been enjoying reading about the artists. Thank you for introducing them, awesome! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Patsy! I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my blog. "Storytellers" was put on the back-burner while I dealt with some health issues, but I'm preparing to start it up again! Thanks for asking about it; I'm glad to know you enjoyed the interviews.

      Delete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!