5.11.2012

a cage that gives way to freedom

Waiting Cage 1 Waiting Cage detail Waiting Cage detail 2

Just a little sneak peek at what's on my worktable right now. It's another version of this painting, with the message that "waiting builds wings."

I don't feel like I have many words in me this week (well, really it feels like a few months now--I know, things have been kind of quiet here at PBL!) because all of my strength and creativity have been exhausted in parenting my two amazing and beautiful little monsters--around here we use the term "monster" in the most adoring and affectionate possible way :).

Eowyn sleeping in chair

If only they were as worn out as I am. She looks like I feel, but Eowyn doesn't actually pass out like this very often!

Penelope is 2.5 and Eowyn is 3.5 years old, and I don't know what it is, but lately it's like they've been teaming up to test the boundaries to the max! I'm sure it's a phase--and only one of many more to come. They're both at the "halfway" point between being littler and becoming bigger and I guess they're experiencing some minor growing pains.
   Penny sharpie face 3
Boy is it a good thing they're so cute--even when they're being a bit naughty. Or, is it a bad thing? It's much more difficult to dig in and discipline consistently when you're trying not to crack a smile. But who said discipline and laughter can't go together?

Waiting Cage 2

It occurred to me that these loving boundaries I sometimes feel I'm fighting to defend are kind of like the beautiful little cage I'm painting now--a cage made for discipline and growth, but a cage that ultimately gives way to freedom, bent and burst open by the strength of the wings it helped build.

 But I'm gladly willing to wait a little--a lot--longer until that happens; please God, don't let them grow up too fast!


Happy weekend to all of you, friends! And happy Paint Party Friday and Studio Sneak Peek!

24 comments:

  1. You have adorable little monsters..in a very Lady gaga way!! I always used laughter and humor to discipline...Instead of discipline I chose to correct my childs behavior. After all our ultimate goal is to have good behavior not be angry or mean to our kids! I did however use the term " change your attitude" A LOT...lol, and followed through on all my no's. However I tried to say yes ninety percent of the time!! The result was amazing, I have a successful 26 year old best friend... You never have to be an ogre to your kids! You're doing an excellent job! Get rid of that cage....even though it's beautiful...and live fun and free.....laugh everyday while raising them!!

    Love Giggles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... this really made my day! I remember those faces so well as I plan my son's high school graduation party for next weekend!!! Enjoy every minute of them... they're precious!
    Happy PPF...
    Renee
    xoxo
    www.fussitup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO understand the "beautiful little monsters" term (as it relates to mine, not yours:-) and the boundaries (of discipline) that ultimately results in freedom... And the growing up part: Ann Voskamp talks about "weighing down the moments" - intentionally stopping long enough each day to drink in the beauty of these fleeting yet exhausting years. I always remember this at the end of the day when they are asleep... and then I determine to weigh down more moments tomorrow...oh for grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is looking great! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those days well, and I only had one "beautiful little monster" to deal with...lol. She's now about to turn 21...they do grow up so quickly. Your art work looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh do I relate to this. My third is about to turn 3 and these days have tested me to my limits! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, I signed in under the wrong name. That is me above and this is me, art blog. hehe.

    Besides, i did forget to tell you, this is an awesome WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous photos of the kids.... and your work is looking so gorgeous... i think your work and writing is just going from strength to strength...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your WIP is so beautiful and intricate. Can't wait to see it finish. And you have very beautiful little monster! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks amazing and it's not even done yet! Can't wait to see this finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful painting and your monsters couldn´t be cuter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it wonderful how life and art reflect each other!?! They do grow up too fast - I was looking at sweet tweener just this week, and we were comparing how she looked at 3 vs. now - so much growth, inside AND out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! and see? You did find your words! thanks for the inspiration!

    http://dinneranddrawing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your cage...and the colors you are using...enjoy your monsters...they do grow up so quickly....popping over from Studio JRU

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing such a great post. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I do know those days when all your creativity goes into parenting, not art or words so much. I think my blog posts have become more and more curt as the year has gone on (pure exhaustion, nothing else). The cage-piece you're working on is fabulous though and such wise words about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Sadee, i cracked up when i saw that little face with the paint!!! Too precious... how adorable is that.
    Your painting is stunning (so far) and such a perfect title - 'waiting builds wings'. Such wise words on patience.
    Your little monsters are adorable. :-) I miss those years. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This piece is looking beautiful. I love the striking white on top of the pretty variety of colors. Can not wait to see the finished piece. Your little ones are too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. But who said discipline and laughter can't go together?
    hold on to that and you will do just fine : )

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic analogy of raising a child. Your girls are precious, although I know that feeling of wanting them to be past this stage but also wanting desperately to hang onto the good parts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your art, Sadee - so beautiful! And those darling girls are beautiful, too :) I remember when my girl learned how to point her finger and say "no". My husband and I had to turn our backs so she wouldn't see us crack up and then turn back sober-faced to reprimand her! Happy Mother's Day (is it Mother's Day in Germany?), Sadee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your "monsters" with us. I have two boys, a little older now, but my husband and I often say it's a good thing they're cute. I'm sure they are cute for a reason! It's so hard when you're in the moment, but I try to remember, "This too shall pass." I always enjoy seeing your work. Keep painting -- it will keep you sane!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your girls are so sweet! I can't wait to see your cage all finished. Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could your girls be any cuter?? I think not! And this painting...LOVE. Seriously, you amaze me.

    I got my print today and I was doing a happy dance all the way in the house! I love seeing how people package their wares and yours was beautifully wrapped like I knew it'd be. The print was even more gorgeous in person! My eldest daughter saw it on the table and went crazy over it; apparently we both have great taste. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!