4.20.2012

Sitting in a Treetop

trees WIP2 detail
Hand-painted papers--with watercolor and coffee-stain, etched with a craft knife while still wet

trees WIP2 detail3
A little vintage notebook paper makes a different kind of music staff

trees WIP2 detail2
These are the first few bars of a beloved song--can you tell which one it is?

(sitting in a tree-)
o small you
sitting in a tree-

sitting in a treetop

riding on a greenest

riding on a greener
(o little i)
riding on a leaf

o least who
sing small thing
dance little joy

(shine most prayer)

--e.e. cummings

Just a little sneak peek today--this collage is almost finished, but it's been more than a week and I've not been motivated to pick it up again. (I posted an earlier work-in-progress here.

So I decided to look for a poem about treetops, specifically one by e.e. cummings because I love his "nonsense" that sometimes makes so much sense. Cummings' style of writing--with all of its spaces and parentheses and such--is always an inspiring visual treat that translates so easily into art.

It did the trick! No longer feeling lack-luster, I'm off to work on the finishing touch this very minute!  I'll share the finished piece next Friday--plus the e.e. cummings poem that sort of answers this one and perfectly echoes the original vision I had for this piece. Can't wait to see you then!

P.S. In case you didn't see it, I poured my heart out in this post on Monday. It's the story of a precious orphan boy whose new parents are working hard to bring him home to the U.S.--please check it out to see how you can help (and even get a little piece of my artwork in the process!) Thank you, friends!

Linking up with Studio JRUPaint Party

20 comments:

  1. Your work is wonderful! I love it! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog. How did you get transplanted? I'm subscribing so I can see more of your wonderful work. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the art and your creativity! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on Saved by Grace! Your blog is a blessing and I am now following it, and I invite you to follow Saved by Grace also:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
    Love in Him,
    Laurie Collett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your art and photography are always so amazing!
    Love visiting your blog.
    My favorite part of this collage is the hand drawn notes. So sweet.
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful work! Thanks you for the kind words on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your artwork and creativity. Happy PPF and enjoy the weekend. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so relaxing to sit and scroll through all of your beautiful art. You are amazingly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that blue green tree is looking beautiful and I can't wait to see the finished product... this is going to be a great piece I can just tell...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your handmade papers! Can't wait to see the finished collage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous. I love your use of painted papers, and the poetry. 'Can't wait to see the finished work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking fantastic...love the little poem too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see the finish project!! Love the texture on the paper, perfect poem to accompany it!! Such pretty papers!!

    Hugs Gigges

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadee, your hand painted papers are out of this world... just gorgeous. I love everything i see here.
    I'll be reading your post re: the orphan boy a little later today & I'll do what i can. Have a great weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous collage! Leave it to e.e. to get your creativity flowing again. He was kind of a genius that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The peek looks beautiful! Just thinking about trees today for an art piece. :) Can not wait to see this finished. I love when a little inspiration puts us right back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your painted paper work is getting more and more wonderful! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see this one finished. It's going to be glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful. Your blog is beautiful!!! So glad I found you via Studio JRU :)

    Many Blessings,
    Sherri Ohler
    www.sdgartistry.com
    www.thepaintedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely glimpse of your work, looking forward seeing the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing textures! Can't wait to see the whole picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!