2.06.2012

2 Birthdays, a Blog Anniversary, a Trip to Italy & a Funeral

I'm going to Squam!!!

Good news first: can you guess what amazing gift I received for my birthday? Tobi has been working on this mysterious surprise for a month--collecting contributions from sweet family and friends to make this dream possible for me--my first Squam Art Retreat, and in Italy!!! Of course I'm absolutely thrilled and HUMBLED to get this opportunity. But even more than that, my heart is bursting with love and thanks for the precious ones who encourage and support me, believing in my dreams just as much (and maybe even more) than I do!

Penny's 2nd Birthday

This is almost the best birthday present ever...but only almost. Because two years ago a nutmeg-blonde, button-nose, blue-eyed little girl named Penelope rushed into my life a week early--maybe just because she wanted to share this special day with me! She already lives to make us laugh--which is my word of the year, of course--so she is my special gift on our birthday and on every other day of the year.

Penny's 2nd Birthday

It's funny that I missed blogging about this on my actual birthday--February 2 (Groundhog's Day!)--which also happens to be this blog's first birthday. Happy Birthday, A Picturebook Life!!! You can read my first, sweet little blog post here.

Penny's 2nd Birthday

So, two birthdays, plus a blog anniversary, plus news of an amazing, upcoming trip to Italy for a magical art retreat...this is prime blogging material, people! Isn't it though? Then maybe you're wondering why it's taken me three days to post about it...I've been wondering about that myself. Why do I feel so blocked on the blog-front at the very time words should be flowing like the waters of the Adriatic Sea? I know, I did put myself on a little blog-rest again, but I'm still trying to post once a week. I should be able to find plenty to say, in just one post a week, right???

Perhaps, like our friend the groundhog, it's because I've been "hibernating." But this blog is what finally pulled me out of my hole a year ago, became a "home" for me when I was in such an "in-between" place...helped me to find home in my heart and in all the little joys everywhere I look. This blog is the place where I found unexpected friendships during some of the loneliest days of my life. This blog is what has finally convinced me that I AM an artist and that I can make this work my life's work.

Penny's 2nd Birthday

It's the season of hibernation, anyway.  It's ok.  Nature does it; I can do it too. And spring is on the way. Don't worry; I haven't been scared by my own shadow--this blog is still a very special place to me, still a big part of my feeling of "home." I'm just resting up and getting healthy again (by going gluten-free, btw) in preparation for the amazing-ness that stretches out before me: the 31st year (and maybe the best one yet) of my life!

P.S. That new painting Sarah Ahearn Bellemare posted on her blog on the same day as my birthday--guess why I linked it up there? She's teaching at SqamItalia in October! Oh lucky, HUMBLED and overjoyed little ME!!!

P.P.S. Ok, here comes the bad news.  Hope it doesn't seem insensitive, the way I'm lumping all this news--the good and bad--together in one post.  But that's life--taking the good with the bad, the bad with the good. The other reason I linked this painting?  Because it resonates with the way I feel right now--I've managed to squeeze in a little celebration this week, for my birthday and Penny's, but it's been a bit half-hearted: my cousin Ross was killed last Tuesday in a terrible oil field accident.  Since the moment I found out, I can't get Ross and his bright, contagious smile out of my head--it like I can feel his smile, the same way I feel my mom's smile and know that she's not really that far away, overjoyed in the presence of our Lord Jesus.  Still, I'm heartbroken for his mom, dad and brothers, and the rest of our family.  Ross was 28 years old.  The funeral is tomorrow, and of course, I am an ocean away. If you think of it, could you say a prayer for our family? Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. First, I am so sorry to hear of your loss Sadee. Your family will be in my prayers. How wonderful and special to share a birthday like that! Your little one is adorable. Love the sweet photos. And an art retreat in Italy... oh my goodness. How exciting! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your cousin...many prayers to you and your whole family on this tragic loss. Thank goodness for the joyful moments in life to offset the sad ones - Happy Birthday to you and congrats on your trip to Italy! What a fantastic trip that will be...your daughter is absolutely precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i will say a prayer for your family...this blog post reflects real life. joy and sorrow all mixed up together sometimes. all the best to you and yours and enjoy your squam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadie, I am so sorry that you lost your cousin at such a young age. How terrible. His poor parents.
    And how wonderful for you - yes, that IS life, the good and the bad so close together - that you can go to Italy! What a great experience that will be. Happy belated birthday to you and to Penny - love her cake, and the little kids furniture (IKEA?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sadie, I'm not feeling my best today. Just a cold, but it's put me out of commission today. I just want to say, yet again, what a beautiful spirit you are. Life is hard, but you keep trudging through with a smile in your heart. The path you've chosen in your grief over your cousin is one of healing. You most certainly have my thoughts and prayers with you!

    Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your trip!! It is well-earned. If you wake up every day wanting to create, then You ARE an artist! I believe it's just something we carry within. You know, if you know. Know what I mean? *big grin*

    Love! and many blessings to you and your family!
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  6. SQUAM??? in ITALY???? OH. MY. GOSH!!! Okay Tobi (and family) did goooooood. What a birthday. I didn't realize you and Penelope shared it.

    About your sadness, I hope you get a lift to your spirits soon. I saw that exact painting by Sarah--so beautiful. But I'm terribly sorry about your cousin. That's heartbreaking. I'll be praying for your sweet family. ((Hugs))
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I am so sorry to read about your loss.

    Second happy birthday to you, your little girl and your blog. I am so happy you are going to italy for your painting. I hope you get awesome inspirations.

    A big hug :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're right, life does happen like this -- joy and sadness layered on top of each other, filled in by routine. wishing you strength to get through your cousin's passing, and all the best with your upcoming plans. that first photo is pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was thinking about you today while looking through art supplies. Its a good sign when youve run out of paper and paints! I hope this finds you warm,well, and creating. How is your dietary change going? I dont see an earlier comment here so I mustve been on a hiatus as well. I am so sorry for your family's loss. Its so hard. (what an incredible gift you were given, your daughter and now a workshop in Italy!) Daniel Smith's website- your must haves? Its pure overload.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I really struggle with sharing about me online, but this post made me rethink that. Too often I'm so gaurded about what I share that I worry that it comes off impersonal. I love how you wove bits of you all over the place.

    ps Your art (and your words!) are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!