1.06.2012

Studio Sneak Peek: Yellow Valentines

"I tell you, the more I think, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
                                            -- Vincent Van Gogh

yellow patchwork 2

Today is a sunny day and this makes me so happy--it's the first time in a week or two that Hamburg has seen the sun for for than 15 minute snatches! I've been painting again this week--and this makes me happy too. And (in case you missed yesterday's post) my first artist interview posted yesterday on Robin's blog, My Creative Peace. More happiness! :)

Home is where the heart is

I mentioned here that it's hard for me to be inspired without the rays of a warm sunshine, so I've been "hibernating" in a sense, snuggled up with my family among all our twinkle lights (to ward off the gloom of the short days!) burrowing deeper into those three hearts who, together, are my truest home. But a combination of post-holiday blues, missing my friends and family in the U.S. and all the rain caused me to pick up my brush and pen again this week. The color yellow can be my sunshine for now!

yellow patchwork heart

And I'm inspired by Valentine's Day, of course, which has always been my favorite. Although my chest literally aches in missing the people I love on the other side of the ocean, my heart is so wonderfully, full-to-bursting, with joy in my little family and the home we are making together.

yellow patchwork heart3

This yellow heart represents my hopes for the new year--I'll share more once I finish it. I'm incorporating some collage in this piece, using squares of splashed watercolor paper and the vintage, lined Schreibpapier from my father-in-law. I'm loving the way the paper crown looks--inspired in part by Jennifer's adorable bird ornaments!

Linking this week for more inspiration from the girls at Studio Sneak Peek and Paint Party. I've missed my bloggy friends and look forward to catching up with some of you this weekend!

Lots of LOVE,

30 comments:

  1. Lovely creations ~ so glad you are working through your heartache with your art ~ assume you won't be away from them forever ??? ~ ~ thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this! And you have inspired me to do something lovely with some "paper fun" my tweener and I made last year! I am seeing a trend of yellow around...loving it!

    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are creating and letting that be a salve to your sweet heart. I love how you used the notebook paper from your father-in-law! (I thought that is what it was.)I took a break from the computer too and it feels good to be back. Hope your girls are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely!! And the branches of the tree are so curled up! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is always stunning!! I simply admire all what you do and this piece is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

    I hope you don't miss your love ones as much now, and that your creations will keep you happy.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on all. Love the colors. I love the quote from Van Gogh. He is one of my favorites. Have a great weekend and thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back creating online. It is hard to get motivated when the days are so short and gloomy (especially when you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, I find it difficult not to just curl up on the sofa for the rest of the evening and do nothing!)

    Your work on the house in the twisty tree is stunning - how do you keep it so clean and crisp - it looks like it has been printed on to the page rather than drawn it is so sharp! wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful and amazing work!
    I love the yellow heart!

    So inspiring!

    Happy New Year and
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect solution for the Rainy Day blahs. How could you be gloomy painting with these colors?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my freaking goodness, as much as I am loving that heart, it is the tree and heart that are blowing me away! and the home hanging from the branch... makes me ache for you. Wow, this is extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh do I hear you on the need for sunshine ;} I so love your heart and the way you collaged the pieces of papers...it has really inspired me to try this...and I really like the use of yellow for a different "valentine" color. Hopin on over to read your interview now. Have a wonderful weekend. Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you are making your own happiness--and sunshine =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely creation! Your Valentine's heart is a "good mood" heart in these happy colors. The rain in Germany can be pretty dreadful... I remember only too well. And I understand about missing the people you love - I miss my close friend SO much. Emails and phone conversations are just not the same as sepending time together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful! I love the yellows. Such a pretty, happy color. This piece just makes me smile. Can not wait to see it complete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep the essence of that lovely yellow heart inside yourself and you'll always have sunshine. I used to get very depressed in winter, now I try to bundle up and get out and enjoy the change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the house and the heart and the tree! Mostly, I love the yellow.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow this is stunning work. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  18. love! always in awe of people who can paint and be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your collaged heart is beautiful (and very sunny, indeed)! I love the way the little square of paper that matches the crown is peeking through :)

    Congratulations on your interview - I'm off to read it now!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sadee... I always love seeing your work. I am always inspired by your colorful, graphic and meaningful art. Thanks for sharing your art and your heart (I read your interview on My Creative Peace as well)!
    many blessings and haPPiness to you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely adore the yellow heart! So wonderfully done. May the new year bring you all that warmth, light and gentleness!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I love your "three hearts" home and your yellow heart is absolutely gorgeous,love the bright colors! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. That yellow is beautiful! I love how all the different pieces of the heart come together and create such an eye catching heart. And I love the quote at the beginning. I'm going to bookmark that one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your sunny yellow Valentine! Can't wait to see the finished piece xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this, love this, LOVE this. I feel like I say that about all your stuff. But really. Love. And I suppose it's fitting to love a sunny heart. ;)
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your works are so wonderful!
    Looking forward to everything you share.
    Wishing you a wonderful 2012!
    Sheri Cook/HappyHorseStudio

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sadee - so glad the colour yellow became your Sun! This WIP is absolutely wonderful so far! I love all the colour, textures and details.

    looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE that quote! I'm going to steal it and hang it somewhere.

    So nice getting to know you Sadee, can't wait to see the progress on your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is the start of a beautiful piece. Love the emotion of it.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE that Van Gogh quote, and the heart is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!