10.03.2011

Tag der Deutschen Einheit--The Day of German Unity

Berlin angel

razor wire in Berlin

Berliner Tor--Berlin Gate

A Remnant of the Berlin Wall

stairs and pillars--Berliner Dom

Berliner Dom--Berlin Cathedral

Berliner Dom--Berlin Cathedral

Art on a Remnant of the Berlin Wall

It's nearly midnight here in Germany, but I wanted to put together a little photo montage tribute to Berlin before this Day of German Unity is over.  21 years ago today marked the official reunification of East-and-West, although the Berlin Wall had fallen almost a year earlier.

I took these photos a few weeks ago when some of my family from the U.S. were in town for a visit--we took a whirlwind tour of Berlin that I can hardly remember, but turns out I got some good shots that look mysterious and moody with the added texture--something I've been wanting to try for a while and finally learned a little tonight thanks to a 10 minute, FREE tutorial by Kim Klassen.  I think I'm addicted...

And I thought I'd link up at Texture Tuesday to share my first try.  The theme today is "Gratitude"--and what a perfect image the angel in the first photo is to represent the gratitude I'm feeling with the Germans today (even though I can have no real idea what it must have been like to live through such oppression).


For the angel I used Kim's textures "Stained Paper" and "Tainted Music"--the two textures available in the 10 minute tutorial--plus some blue sky from photos I took on the beach at the Baltic Sea this weekend.  

17 comments:

  1. Love the first, fifth and seventh, very striking and moody. It must have been an amazing trip, thankfully you have great photos to ponder your sights more full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing them all! I have to catch up and read a few of your posts I missed below. I hope all had a wonderful celebration for a fantastic event remembrance in history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Incredible photos. I love the mood you captured. Yes you did! (My sister was wondering why her girls had off school today!)They have only been in Germany since End of July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderful photos!! I like the grainy texture;I'll have to check out that video.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you have been playing with texture - isn't that fun? I love it - gorgeous photos.
    And it's 50 years ago this year that the Wall was built - the reason for me to blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pics and textures, love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fall of the Berlin Wall is one of my "I remember where I was" moments. I have a piece of it on my desk.

    Your photos are amazing! Hope you had a great time with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing shots! and just the inspiration I needed for today's TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful post, all these photo's are really interesting,the processing is great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great and interesting pictures & post too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the shot of the Brandenburg gate! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos! I love your work of texture to bring out the unique character and feel of each photo! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Pieces of Sunshine Thank you! That's so true--sometimes I think I appreciate something more while I'm looking at the photos later. I wish I could be more "in the moment" sometimes, but it's so cool to discover what the camera "sees" when you didn't notice at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Carola Bartz Oh wow, 50 years since the wall was built? I didn't put that together today, only was thinking about when it came down. There's much to remember and ponder indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous photos - and I love the textures! I have never experimented with them before - but your photos look just beautiful and have such a great atmosphere! wow :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just in awe of your photography! I was drawn in by the angel in your thumbnail over at TT, but every single image here tells a story. The horses on the Brandenburg gate are stunning and I particularly like the barbed wire shot. Your processing is fantastic, too; I really like the understated edge the textures give your photos. We lived in Italy in the late '80s -- in fact my husband was in Berlin on business when the wall came down -- I remember the emotion of those days very well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!