10.28.2011

Cardinal Red Diamonds: Painting and Baseball

They're still in it!!!  I haven't been following the World Series myself, just through Facebook comments from my friends and family who are BIG fans.  I grew up watching lots of baseball (I played a little fast-pitch softball) and I am a Cardinals fan because it runs in the family--they're my Dad's team and my brother's, plus I'm loyal to my friends in and from St. Louis. This year my Dad and brother went to a game together at Busch Stadium--it was my Dad's first time ever, although it had always been one of his biggest dreams.

red diamonds on worktable

When I saw this morning that the Cards won last night and are miraculously still in the Series, I thought, "that must have been the subconscious reason I chose red diamonds for my next painting!"  HA!  I guess baseball's in my blood even if not always on the forefront of my mind.

I've mentioned before that painting is sometimes like praying for me. Well, I'm going to work on this some more tonight hoping they'll win the whole thing! Wish I was home to watch the game with my Dad...

This is a background for another vintage-inspired piece about creativity--I'll add a drawing of a little Brownie camera to it later. Right now I'm really just playing with color, trying not to be too precious. I like to see what happens when I don't plan too much.

red diamonds sketch

I drew the diamonds free-hand (no ruler!). They are a little wonky, but I'm trying to be ok with that. Randomly added some wax on top of my rough graphite sketch--I love the way it resists the paint, and I love the way I'm always surprised by what happens because it's hard to tell where you've applied the wax since it's clear! :)

red diamonds blotting paint

I wanted this to be imperfect with a worn, rusty, vintage feel.  So I let the reds bleed a bit--I blotted some away when it was too much.

red diamonds with bluegreen

It's a little tricky adding in the contrasting colors--I was inspired by my blue teapot full of red daisies (and by the Cardinals, of course!) and decided to use blue with a little green--so it's very possible I could come up with some pretty muddy mixes since I'm working with complementary colors (red/green, blue/orange).  But that's ok--I like the challenge of creating interesting and pleasing color mixes against the odds!

The Cardinals came back against the odds; I guess I can too! :)


Sharing this today with my friends at Studio JRU and Paint Party!

36 comments:

  1. I like the effect you've created here with the bleed and wax resist. makes an interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that would make some lovely paper!
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this Sarah. The way you can just start with a sheet of paper and then hours later you have a beautiful picture. Also, I know your Dad would love it if you were here watching the game with us. Happy painting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you forgot to mention that Matt Holliday now plays for the Cards! And I like your painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative ~ great you are allowing yourself to explore ~ Great effect! ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) ~ Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece Sadee
    it truly has a vintage feel to it...including the wonky lines..it is perfect

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sadee,

    When I was growing up in California we went to a lot of Oakland A's games (1972 - 1976), including some World Series games. I love those memories.

    The diamond work looks fantastic. Isn't hard to let go of trying to have our projects be perfect..... it's held me back way too many times.

    Can't wait to see this when it's finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh - your colors are blending beautifully and not muddy at all. funny how those family/baseball ties run deep. I consider myself a red sox fan even though I never actually watch the games. it's genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so am in love with your watercolors. You make it look so easy:) I also believe when we create, we are closer to God in some ways. It is a beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing a piece in progress, loving the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way it looks right now!

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking great so far! Hope your cardinals win tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing works in progress and love the bleeds and vintagey feel to this... happy ppf xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like where you're going with this. The diamond design is great and I like that it's not perfect. I hope your Cardinals win!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so pretty! I love the wax idea. I think you've beautifully achieved the vintage look you were going for!

    Blessings xo,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I admire you for drawing those lines free-hand, and even more for leaving it that way! I absolutely love the result of the wavy lines and the white places where the wax went. It DOES give a rustic feel to the painting. Can't wait to see what you do with it. My birthday's coming up, and your prints are gonna be on my list!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. You've got such a talent for working with watercolour and the wax adds such an interesting dimension to it. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the way this looks.. Such a wonderful effect the wax with the watercolors.. Makes me want to give it a try! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delightful, seeing what you are doing with watercolor. It definitely gives me ideas. ;-) Good wishes and thank you for your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i LOVE my white crayola crayon for the exact same reason!! lol! your diamonds are wonderful and now i am off to see more of your delightful blog! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this background! The wax resist is such a neat technique. I love how it looks! Your inspiration is gorgeous too... those flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the colours!!!
    They are so well-mixed!!! <3 Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too love this water and wax idea ... can't wait to come back and check it out in more detail

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your surprises and thank you for sharing. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really inspiring! If my next painting has diamonds, you know where I got the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like you blog and look forward to the next viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sarah, I have always loved your blog and I know all about your talent.I love the memories of watching the game together and you playing softball. Wow I can remember you pitching 6 games in one day and your team work to touranment so I would say you played a little more softball than you remember. As for the Cardinals your connection goes way back to your Great Great Grandpa Phillips who played for the Cardinals Farm Club back in the late 30's. I'm sure you know how much I enjoy watching them pay too. They won the series yesterday and the last two games were amazing.
    I Love Your Blog
    Love Diddy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your post! I live in St. Louis and have been watching the Cards for a month in the post-season!
    My dad and brother went to the Thursday night game, too! :)

    Your painting and photos of your tutorial are beautiful!

    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  29. DIAMONDS ARE MY FAVORITE SHAPE right now! Love the gentle watercolor look!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your watercolors are just gorgeous - and your photography as well! You have a true gift with words and art Sadee, and I'm so happy to see you sharing it so generously here! And I know there are big things in store for you creatively, I feel it!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. The photography is beautiful. Always come away inspired from yor BLOG! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow awesome colors and shapes!!!! They make great photos too! Happy PPF! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous! (I actually just saw your top photo on pinterest I think!)

    You have achieved a beautiful effect with the wax... Very inspiring :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous patterns....wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is beautiful! I am a HUGE Phillies fan, so I can't say I'm happy for the Cardinals! They did have an incredible post season though. The blue/red/green combo works so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!