9.23.2011

Sending a Heart-song into the Heavens

A Prayer

The ability to create is a gift in itself, and for me, is also one way I can continually give my heart back to my Creator.  Painting is like prayer; sometimes it is prayer.  Praying with my hands and my eyes, sending my heart-song into the Heavens even when there are things I can't understand and when I have no words--and trusting those Strong Hands to hold my trembling heart and to unlock, a little at a time, the mystery and purpose that lie in struggle and pain.

"A Prayer" (hands close-up)

I've been laboring with love on this bird-in-hand painting--"A Prayer"--for a while (wrote about it as a work-in-progress here) and finally "finished" it last night!  Well, the original is technically still in-progress--I loved the idea of a simple white background, but I am rarely capable of leaving anything plain and white!  So I photographed the painting before I added a background color so that I could preserve this simpler version of the piece.  I love the softness of the organic tones, even though it was hard for me to hold back on my usual leaning toward bold colors!  When I added an olive green background, I discovered that I needed to re-work the colors of the bird a bit.  So am very happy that I did decide to capture the way the piece looked with the plain white background!

tell your story doodles

The bird's tag was blank for a long time--I had so many ideas for what the tag could say and couldn't make up my mind.  And then I ran across the heart--one of the first doodles I sketched (and the beginning of my obsession with this rusty burnt-sienna tone of India ink!) when I started painting again in March after almost a year off--and something finally "clicked."  I love when things come together like this, don't you?  In a way you never expected but seems as if it was always meant to be.  I added the heart digitally, and am excited about the many other possibilities of customizing the tag for friends who purchase the print from my shop!

A Prayer

I was meditating on several layers of meaning as I created this piece.  The initial inspiration was thinking about friends who are in various stages of the adoption process.  I thought of this painting as a visual prayer for the safety and protection of precious little ones in need of a mommy and daddy, hoping they fly quickly and safely home into waiting arms.  But I won't unpack all the layers of meaning here because I would love to hear what meaning you see in this piece!  Won't you drop me a line and tell your version of the story?  There's a giveaway at stake!  Leave a comment this week and next Friday I'll randomly choose one blog-friend to receive a free print!  Yay! 

And speaking of stories . . .

I've been working on a new project--a series called "Storytellers" where I will feature a different artist every Tuesday and share about how story plays a role in their art... and how art has plays an important part in the story of their lives.  

In addition to the weekly feature, "Storytellers on Tuesdays" will also include a link party for sharing about the ways in which art and creativity intersect with the stories that are happening inside of us and all around us everyday.  I do hope you will join me on Tuesday for my first artist interview, and I would love for you to link up and share a story too! 


Until then, wishing you blessings 
(like the Hamburg rain!)--











Linking with my friends at Studio JRU and Paint Party!

32 comments:

  1. Your work is amazing and full of creative energy! Love the way you use line and color to create a perfect blend! It's magical! Love the idea that the tag can become the story that each person might share of how your work speaks to them! AWESOME STUFF! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Sadee for your kind comment on my blog. Its been a sweet process, getting to know new artists and nurturing the creative heart in me once again. I cant wait to see your first "story teller" it will be a beautiful series I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is wonderful and thank you for writing such an interesting post. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so beautiful and has so many layers of meaning. I love the contrast of the bright bird against the earth tones of the hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful - I think it could mean many things to many people... I love your line work in the strong hands :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anna I know what you mean, Anna! It is so wonderful to be part of a creative community, even if we're painting together in cyberspace. I dream of sitting around a physical table and creating together, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your painting such a beautiful story with your words and paints,, beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see helping hands and the bluebird of happiness! Very happy sketch that looks perfect on a white background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. well I really enjoyed hearing the whole story which went with the awesome painting. I love white backgrounds....err...probably too much...lol...so I love it as is.
    I also love the idea of show casing the artist and the story.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your art style and work is awesome ~ Love it! thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! The details on the hands are simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely piece! When I first saw it I thought of the hands of God holding safe even the smallest of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very beautiful post with lovely words, thoughts and artwork. Love your caged bluebird.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hands, I am always drawn to hands...this piece is just gorgeous - and I like how you relate your art process to praying...very deep.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing! The hands... I just love them. I am drawn to them. I see when we let go, we can begin to unlock those places in our heart that are just waiting to be set free. Beautiful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Jennifer @ Studio JRU Oooh, I really like that, Jennifer--to let go and "unlock those places in our hearts just waiting to be set free." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful art and post.
    Painting is like a form of prayer for me, too. :)

    All the best,
    Mary
    Mary C. Nasser Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good work, very original .... I like it a lot. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  19. It took me two years before I could draw passable hands! Yours are great and full of character! I really wanted to master hands because it could tell so many stories - about generosity, openness, love, oneness, freedom, invitation, etc. Nice to meet you. I'll be back! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Hands to Work, Hearts to God Thank you, Patsy! I know, hands ARE hard, aren't they? Especially when they're on the page all by themselves--they can even look a little scary. That's one reason why I added all of the contour lines to make them a bit more abstract. What a lovely thoughts you have about all the different stories hands can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your work is beautiful and i think it is so wonderful that artists are so inspired by their beliefs or passions, whatever those may be. this is just such a gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sadee: Amazing work! I've never been here before and found my way this Sabbath morning. ... and your words are so beautiful and well said. LOVE the impact your work and words make ... well done! Off to explore more of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous!! My first thought led me to think of sending thoughts to loved ones who've passed on (I lost a dear friend this year). But I love how you talked about creating being a prayer for you--I feel that way too.

    Your idea of sharing stories of artists (and linking up) is such a fantastic one. Stories feed my soul and I relish hearing from others in their journey.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this is such a profound piece. It really can have many layers of meanings to many people.The one that resonates the most to me is the top of your post where you talk about trusting the strong hands of our Creator to hold our trembling hearts and finding purpose in our struggles and pains. Another meaning for me is how love ( to someone special in our lives) can seem to capture us on a string ( the bird being tethered at the foot) but how we are willing to give of ourselves in this way ( be tethered but come willingly to the hands because there is safety and warmth in the hands and the "tugging" of love when we trust and go with the flow of where are heartstrings are tugged at!This could be spiritual or human love or both! Everything is for a reason! This is sooooooo beautiful Thank you for sharing it! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your detail watercolor work just blows me away! I must work extra hard so to be able to paint like you. So glad to have you at PPF. I'm learning a lot from your painting.

    Keep going. You're such talented painter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love hearing the story behind your illustration and I think your new Storytellers series is going to be great :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hooray! So happy to see you have opened your Etsy shop and that you are a part of Creative Courage.
    I would still like to feature your work with my "I heart art" series. I hope to be in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is really great. Those hands are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great post and your work is just awesome. I love those hands. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is achingly beautiful. those hands are so clearly welcoming, nurturing and protecting, with the woodgrain pattern of a tree. that string on the bird is so interesting - has it broken free from it's tether? Is the string a means of delivering that heart to it's rightful place? (the heart with a keyhole, no less). I've had such a busy week, and I keep thinking I will stop trying to catch up on all the PPF links, but I'm so glad I keep going, because I keep finding such amazing work, like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!