9.01.2011

The Rescue: A Painting + Real-Life Heroes

For years, a couple of my closest friends have had especially heavy hearts for the women and children enslaved by the human trafficking trade.  They have not turned their faces away from the ugliness of this world-wide and hushed up horror, but have spent time learning and praying, allowing their hearts to be broken as they open their eyes to the truths of this evil.

the rescue detail

And on more than one occasion, I've heard my friends wish to do more than pray or write letters or give financially (all really good things!).  They are admirably strong and feisty women, who really want to be part of rescuing the people who have been manipulated and kidnapped and sold into the sex trade--to be instruments of the kind of unselfish love these victims may have forgotten even exists.

the rescue detail

Recently, one of my friends finally got her opportunity--she now volunteers for an organization that works to help women get out of the human trafficking industry and then cares for them afterward, helping them to slowly adjust to a new life of freedom outside of the brothel.  And when I say they work to help women get out, I mean that they literally go into the brothels, seeking to rescue the ones who are being held against their will and providing prayer and friendship for the ones who are there willingly.

WOW, right?

I don't have nearly the right words to advocate joining the war against human trafficking.  I cannot even comprehend this evil, and I'm not sure that I'm ready to.

the rescue detail

But I do know that I am so honored to call these beautiful women my friends--the ones who refuse to look away from the horror, the ones who pray for their hearts to be broken for the victims of the unspeakable ways in which humans are mistreating other humans, the ones who have caused me to stop gawking and to start praying when I see the young prostitute who lives on my street. I am so thankful for the ones who are fighting-mad and ready to get in there to battle the ugly with their own two hands, knowing all the while that their hearts and their minds will never be the same, that they might never know the same peace on this side of Heaven . . . and knowing that after all that they've witnessed, their biggest battle will be the one to forgive.

And so I paint.  Because sometimes words just aren't enough.  Though I know I am so small, and my painting so childlike as I sit here in my safe and sunny apartment, where my blissfully innocent little girls and I can come and go as we please with never a fear of being used or mistreated . . . it is still my prayer that Love flows through my brush and in some way, encourages both the rescuers and the ones who need rescuing.   (See this painting as a work-in-progress here or purchase a print from the shop.)

The Rescue sm

Because really, isn't that all of us at one point or another in this crazy world?

Interested in learning more about the movement against Human Trafficking? Check out these links:

World Vision's Advocate Network
Redeemed Ministries
I Empathize
Love 146

Also joining Imperfect ProseStudio Sneak Peek, and Paint Party.

38 comments:

  1. Thank you for those links. This is such a terrible war on young souls and I've been burdened about it for some time. I'd love to do something for such a cause. I pray your beautiful friends continue their work. Your paintbrush depicts it in a powerful way.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful painting that communicates so much. I love how you are using the talents that He has given you so to advocate freedom for those whose song has been silenced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job.
    my friend in India just recently uncovered a long thought lost sex trafficing.
    heartbreaking.
    Always good to see it talked about....because it totally exists!...even in our own countries.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - Such a powerful post - what amazing and brave women!

    Love definitely flows from your brush... and beauty... and magic!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful art as always and so well written! A prayer of peace and strength sent to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is simply beautiful...The message is clear and reaches right into the soul.

    Our church also supports the A21 program - my heart is there, to help these women, as that is part of my calling and purpose...in time I know He will open the door for me to be more hands on, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful message and your painting captures this power in such an awesome and grand way! Beautiful work! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand your sentiment--feeling broken for these slaves, and yet not fully wanting to know more. Thank you for speaking out for them, for painting for them. Both are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very powerful post with wonderful artwork. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, indeed, Powerful Post and your artwork is awesome ~ You are doing what you do best ~ thanks ~namaste, CArol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow is the right word. I can't even think what else to say. Wow for these friends of yours and what they are doing and wow for your powerful painting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an incredibly moving post. I learnt a little about human trafficking when I took part in the Blind Project's Be A Biographer illustration competition last year and it is horrific to think what goes on in this world to fellow humans (and animals which is my own personal passion). Your art is simply stunning - this piece is so powerful - so beautiful and so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that kind blew my mind ...Ill have to let that all soak in awhile I do like your art work and it is full of lively joy and deep feelings I think
    KAT thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you know how powerful your art is! Wow! Our friends started Love146 and I've always been blown away by the stories they've shared with us. Actually they're not just stories but real life. Thanks for the reminder today to pray for those innocent victims as well as those who are supporting the sex trafficking industry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your work is amazing! It's so lively and three dimensional yet filled with symbolism and messages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow is right. What an amazing thing your friends are doing. Praying for those brave ones. Love does flow through your brush Sadee, it really does! Beautiful piece. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The words you have 'hidden' in the painting: peace, rest, freedom are perfect to illustrate the story you're trying to convey. This is such a stunning picture and so true to the motivation you have. Each of us does what we can in whatever way we can. Your way is to use this amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your paint brush really does have love in it and your painting really conveys the message you wrote with your heart, it brought tears to my eyes!So very very gorgeous! And nothing wrong with "childlike", that is where the magic comes from and how we see that we really are all ONE!!!!Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post and love you style, It says what you seem to want it to say. I would love to have your pictures on my walls. Unfortunately they are full of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know what to type. But I know the reminder is necessary and your work is piercing me with the message.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful piece of meaningful art. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your work is such a depiction of deep love & desire to rescue the lost/broken/trapped. I have helped the local polygamist women when they need prayer and a place to be safe. It hit me hard and is a huge soapbox issue for me as well...the traps that women/children fall into.

    So grateful for women to take on a huge and hard subject matter. Praise God for their work.

    love to you~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very moving post the images of your painting carried me along as I read. It's a powerful piece, it gives hope and reflects that brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Human trafficking IS heartbreaking, and so often we just look the other way. Your post is a very important one, and I am in awe of your wonderful friends who are real heroes. Your way of expressing your concern, your feeling is beautiful, Sadee.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Carola Bartz Thank you Carola. You're right--it's easier to look the other way rather than to allow your heart to be broken. This is something I'm working on and I'm so inspired by my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @junelle Wow, Junelle--what an awesome ministry to be there for the local polygamist women when they need someone to turn to. I pray that God continues to open doors for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Geckostone Thank you for the encouragement to keep being "childlike"! You're right--it IS where the magic comes from, but sometimes it's hard to be that vulnerable. I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  28. the painting may be childlike – but maybe that's where the magic comes from. If I wasn't a poor – VERY POOR - starving writer – I'd buy a print. But there is kind of just enough to get by. And I do have some experience with helping people out of that human trafficking thing. It wasn't easy – and one person remained free – and the other? I'm not sure if she stayed out of the cage once she was freed. I know she did for some time. But sometimes – even the worst of cages can become home. God bless you Sadee, and thank you for finding me, and being kind enough to comment, so that way I could find you, and I heart that I have read your words, and seen your art!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this brave, powerful, and honest post. Your painting is gorgeous and so much more meaningful in context of what inspired you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, you have a unique style. I love this painting. Great job! Have a wonderful week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @iamrushmore Thank you for reading! I appreciate your encouragement and I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my work-in-context!

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Craig Thank you for your generous and heartfelt words. And thank you for your important work--both in writing on your blog and in ministering to those trapped in the human trafficking trade.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Jen Thank you, Jen! Your encouragement means a lot to me. I can't imagine the real-life stories your friends must have from starting Love146! I'm so thankful for the people who are on the forefront of this important work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow!! Your fabulous art AND your words. An incredibly powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful post. Amazing picture. Amazing is too small word to describe it's beauty, but I am afraid I don't have any other words close to good enough to describe. I admire your beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!