8.01.2011

Studio Sneak Peek: Hands to Gather Paradise

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors--

Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky--

Of Visitors--the fairest--
For Occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise--
               
                             --Emily Dickinson


hands sketch


Why do we create?  Why, after we have made something good, captured something beautiful on paper, on canvas, with fabric or on film ... why do we keep searching for more?

And the Big Question: when we feel a little lack-luster in our inspiration, why to we continue to use our hands to create, over and over and over again, until we get it "just right?"


bird in hand sneak peek 3


I like what Emily Dickinson says about poetry--that creating her art is a way to "dwell in possibility."

Isn't this what artful living is all about?  Living in a "house" of "possibility" with a roof as limitless as the sky; throwing wide open the windows to let the light stream in and opening our arms to welcome the sunbeams and other "fair visitors"--perhaps the very ones who can teach us the most of freedom and flight.


bird in hand drawing


Whether we're writing or painting, cooking, homemaking, stopping to admire a "certain slant of light" (also a Dickinson quote!) and perhaps capturing it on film ... we are doing this very thing--


bird in hand sneak peek 2


"Spreading wide our narrow hands to gather paradise."  

Today I'm thankful for this gift of "possibility"--the way we can enjoy using our hands in imitation of our Maker's hands, to create a little bit of our own paradise on earth.

Have you thrown open your windows to "possibility" today?  What gifts are your hands gathering in?


14 comments:

  1. Good morning (or afternnon to you!), Sadee! Yes! Yes to your post, to open arms and hands and hearts. To blessings and inspiration and POSSIBILITY. After my busy week, I cannot wait to use my hands and make something!

    Lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful art!
    My hands used to sew and quilt and still garden. Now I'm busy with other ministries.

    Lovely post, I'm so glad I came by!
    Visiting from Ann's place

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work! Love the thought of holding out hands open wide to gather the gifts

    ReplyDelete
  4. This my friend is just so so beautiful. I have been talking about keeping my hands open to whatever the Lord has for me, for my life. And I love the verse about being under His wings. This ministers to me so very much. Thank you for this post, His voice meeting me right where I am at. Blessings as you start a new week, a new month full of hopeful creating to be done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - thank you so much for popping over to my blog and saying hi - I don't know how you found me but it's always lovely to see a new face. Your blog is really a beauty full of gorgeous art and lovely words. My hands like to cut and glue paper, photos and memories which is enough for me! Lovely words for the beginning of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I'm stopping by from Ann's. Your artwork is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very lovely, Sadee. You are very talented. Thanks so much for stopping by Pollywog Creek to comment on the gifts my hands have gathered in. (love that!) Love and blessings, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Possibilities... love that word so much! Your painting is *gorgeous* Sadee! I love to see how it comes together. Just beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your paintings are GORGEOUS!!!! I am definitely a FAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your beautiful work and thoughts continue to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your sweet words this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh,I am in love with these thoughts...

    "Isn't this what artful living is all about? Living in a "house" of "possibility" with a roof as limitless as the sky; throwing wide open the windows to let the light stream in and opening our arms to welcome the sunbeams and other "fair visitors"--perhaps the very ones who can teach us the most of freedom and flight."

    Such beautiful and truly inspiring words of encouragement, thank you so much for sharing them.

    JOYfully in Him,
    Kelli

    *I am the deleted comment above, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am completely undone with these words and this heart-work you have created...undone...

    It is all about opening ourselves to make room for more of Him, more of life, more for love, and it is through art that we see it (windows and doors). Brilliant.

    junelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!