8.16.2011

Schreibpapier

Vintage Tablet of German Schreibpapier

A few simple tablets of lined writing paper, yellowed with age. To me, a vintage treasure, recently given to me by meinem Schwiegervater (my father-in-law). Hubby's dad thought my girls might like to color on the pages, but I snagged four of the five tablets with plans to layer them in art collages or in my sketchbook/art journal. The cover still bears the price fixed by the DDR: -- ,95 D-marks, which is about  ,49 Euros or .70 cents.  They sat in the back-room workshop of my father-in-law's little east-German jewelry store for 20+ years.

I love the idea of the paper just waiting there--through years of Soviet occupation, through the Fall of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the DDR, through the years my husband grew up there before his mom smuggled him and his brother to West Germany, through the year Tobi spent in the U.S. as a 17-year-old foreign exchange student, through the 9 years he continued to live in the U.S. after we met and before he finally returned to Germany with a wife and two little girls.  

The paper waited there, forgotten for years.  But I like to imagine it waited with a patient anticipation, dreaming of being re-discovered one day and loved by this little American girl who would turn the pages into art.  


11 comments:

  1. awesome post. Love the words and thought. I hope that you use this paper in a way that you will be able to see it everyday and remember your husband's family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching post! The paper was waiting for you! I just enjoy how you share your heart on here. XOX Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love paper.

    Living in a paper mill town I also have a great appreciation for paper's economic role in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing! What a wonderful story Sadee! Such a wonderful treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this post, Sadee. So beautifully written.

    I love your header!

    Thank you for linking up with Communal Global... hope to see you again next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and unexpected gift!! I bet you'll get so much use out of the vintage paper :) The imagery of the paper waiting for you after all those year is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and what a great gift....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a romantic idea--the paper just waiting for you through such important days in our history! Have fun playing with it.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story, and what a wonderful treasure! I love things from the past like that that have survived through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaaah - I LOVE your header, did you do that yourself?!

    Love your treasure, such a neat thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments on my wonderful vintage treasure! I guess I AM a bit of a romantic--imagining how the paper was "waiting" for me. But I'm looking forward to including little pieces of it in some of my artwork--a reminder of the history that has become mine too, in a way.

    And thanks for the compliments on my header, Buckaroomama and Tinajo--I love it too, and yes, I did it myself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!