7.11.2011

The Cozy Glow of a Quiet Evening

A Cozy Lamp to Write by...
The soft glow of a lamp to illuminate a little thinking and writing.

“I am never long, even in the society of her I love, 
without yearning for the company of my lamp and my library.” 
--Lord Byron, English Romantic Poet (1788-1824)

Bedside Books
Books glowing on my bedside table. 
The pooled light is a cozy invitation for some quiet night-time reading.

We spent a delightfully full, three-day weekend celebrating my husband's birthday.  Lots of quality time with family and friends, fun playtime for the girls, good conversation (in German!) and delicious food.  It was wonderful.  But phew! Was I ever beat!  Sometimes I feel like I get over-stimulated just as easily as my kids do.

Thankfully, I recently learned something new about myself.  I like when that happens, don't you?

I'm a bit of an introvert, which I've known for a long time.  But a friend recently linked a book review at Carl King Creative that shed some light on this overwhelmed feeling I often get during times filled with lots of people and activity.  I haven't read the book (although it looks like one I should add to the stack on my night-stand) but here are a couple of tidbits from King's review:

  • Introverts "take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to 'get it.' They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts."
  • While introverts do like other people, they are also "perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream ... But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time."
  • "Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places  ... If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down." Amazingly, this is because of a real, biological factor--Introverts' brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine, which is produced by the adrenal gland in stressful situations. 


A Cozy Lamp to Make Tea by...
     This twinkling lamp sits in my kitchen window to oversee the brewing of my nightly cup 
of soothing Jasmine Green Tea.  (Here it's still light at 10pm, and if you look closely, 
through the curtains you can see the roses blooming the the garden below.) 

Since I had recently begun to better understand these things about myself, I didn't feel so guilty when all I wanted to do (after the busy weekend) was to curl up with a book and shut out the world. Instead, I took time to process, to recharge--a quiet evening alone to write and to read, to savor my refreshing, signature cup of Jasmine Green Tea.

I counted all these things as gifts and added them to my list.  And I'm glad I did . . . I was happy to awake this Monday to share my Multitudes, and I'm ready for a productive and creative week.

Inrovert or Extrovert--what inspires you this Monday morning, to tackle your week with a smile?


7 comments:

  1. What interesting information. I have just recently been pondering the word contemplative. I am thinking that they are both part of the whole, maybe the same thing in me? I crash and burn on Mondays. I feel like I just cant go on by Sunday night. blessings as you start a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, you are so right. And I MUCH prefer the word "contemplative," don't you? In reading the review of this book about introverts, I discovered that only about 25% of people are "introverted." So I think that since we are in the minority, these characteristics sometimes are cast in a negative light! But I think "CONTEMPLATIVE" sounds lovely, something that people appreciate. Happy Monday to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is brilliant. I have always seen myself as an extrovert but really thoughtfully considering how I relate in the world and need so much *contemplative time* (sweet), I must be made of the same fluffy stuff as you~

    Do you think it is an artist personality in general? Thank you for this...I am off to study!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely more of an introvert. Isn't it great discovering more about yourself and how you're wired? Your soft glow totally makes me want to grab a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen--it IS so helpful to continually discover new things about yourself and how you relate to the world!

    Junelle--I think you might be onto something there--maybe it IS the artist personality in general. I have some "extrovert" qualities too, but have always been very contemplative...made of "fluffy stuff" like you said! ;) I'm interested to hear if you found in your studies anything about the possibility of being BOTH--a little introverted and a little extroverted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That describes ME! Oh my gosh, I need to check out that book. Thank you for passing this on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with all of this. It explains me so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!