5.27.2011

Studio Sneak Peek: Type it out, and Remember

typewriter sneak peek

I stayed up too late last night, propped up on pillows in my cozy bed and typing away in the glow of the computer screen. I've been thinking of my mom more than usual lately, which happens every year as spring creeps into summer. I couldn't sleep because my mind was so full. I grabbed my laptop and typed as fast as I could and still couldn't keep up with my brain. This July it will be seven years since Mom died, and I feel like the memories I've kind of had a hard time accessing are suddenly rushing out at me in the most unexpected moments. So I've been "remembering" with my fingers, typing out the things that come to me and remembering even more as I type.

When I read recently about the last manual typewriter company going out of business, I suddenly was the twelve-year-old-me in another cozy bed on another late night, but this time listening to the clickity-thump-thump-thump of my Mom typing away on her typewriter. She was a stay-at-home-mom too, who wrote in quiet moments. I think if she was alive now, she would be also be a blogger, but then it was things like notes to us kids or to others of our family and friends, PTA newsletters, the annual Christmas letter penned in the voice of our happy-go-lucky Black Labrador named Maggie May. . . Later she also wrote and edited for the town newspaper.

So I've been thinking about her and working on a painting that features a cute typewriter and has something to say about the life-changing power of writing. . . I'm really excited to get it finished, hopefully this weekend! We'll see. Here's to a creative weekend for everyone else as well, and to "remembering" with our fingers.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful painting! Thank you for sharing your precious memories of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture - both the painting and the one painted with words...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious memories of you mom. How wonderful that you can put them down and turn those memories into such a beautiful work of art. Thank you for sharing your heart with us, your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the whole notion of remembering with our fingers ~ so inspired! What a beautiful work and the thoughts behind it -- that is what makes visiting other's studios so fun -- understanding the heart of the artist.

    Love your blog~ so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is definitley very therapeutic for me during my most stressful periods; so sorry for the loss of your mother. Coming over from Studio JRU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for reading my blog and for your sweet comments. I've been offline for a week--been busy painting (and with a cold!) so I look forward to getting caught up this weekend with what's been going on in your studios! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post, made my heart all warm & fussy, thanks for sharing Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this looking for more of your art. I love your style...paint and ink...as it's what I do too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!