5.06.2011

Studio Sneak Peek: 6 Phases of a work-in-progress

I've been sketching some new designs with hearts lately, you know, the cute valentine-type heart. But these hearts are just so darn "cute"; I've been thinking of coming up with something a bit more organic.

That prompted me to do some research and I started sketching the human heart. This is a cleaned-up version of my sketches, of course. I create these clean pen-and-ink drawings and scan them into my computer. Later I will digitally mix the drawings with images of my watercolors, to create something new and with a completely different feel from the the original watercolor piece.

Heart Sketch

So I got into "the zone" this week, working hard planning a new collection of work for a re-opening of my Etsy shop in July (if I'm ready by then!). I've been working hard, but also having fun, and I was especially excited when my heart sketches began to jive with one of the watercolor washes I'd been working on. Here it is as a work-in-progress:

orange and violet wash with texture

First, a colorful wash. I have more than twenty new tubes of watercolor paint and I have been learning about the unique properties of each one.  At this point, I didn't have any specific subject matter in mind.  I was just playing with colors and experimenting with texture.

Detailed texture of orange and violet wash

Detail of the interesting texture that appeared after I let the wash dry with plastic bags on top. Here's where I began wondering what this wash would become. First I saw beehives in the texture of the wash. Then I thought that beehives reminded me of hearts. The texture looked a little like veins.  This piece is where I'd get to use the "heart" idea that had been percolating in my brain! 

sketch on top of orange and violet wash

Here's where I began to sketch on top of my watercolor wash. Interestingly, I found that there were already "hearts" sort of there in the painting. They were really similar to the hearts I had been sketching but I hadn't even noticed it before...

work in progress-orange and violet wash

Adding a second layer of watercolor paint on top of my original wash, darkening in the background.

work in progress-orange and violet hearts

One or two more layers of watercolor paint, plus colored pencil...the piece is getting a bit closer to completion! Stay tuned ;)....

Update: See this work-in-progress as a finished piece here!

16 comments:

  1. I like a lot of these warm colors. Excellent abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is wonderful.. tks for visiting my blog today! hugs xo Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! The more restful blues and greens are really "my" colors, but it's a lot of fun to go a little crazy and use bright, warm colors. Guess it's partly from the influence of FINALLY SEEING THE SUN in Hamburg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful piece! Since I watched it live how it was created but it still looks so cool. You are such an amazing artist! Love you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece! I love seeing your steps and how it starts to come together. The colors are so pretty together. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your experimenting process is paying off. I love those backgrounds, they are art pieces by itself. I wonder what will be the results...A most to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for visiting my blog today and for your comments! I don't know which is more fun--splashing on the color as I'm in the "experimental" phase of a painting, or adding in the details with my smaller brushes and colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the way the colors blend and the plastic bag texture is very cool...can't wait to see it completed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amazed by how you bring beauty from what others might see at nothing- well done! Coming over from Studio JRU

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel so blessed that you share the wonderful gifts God has given you with us. I love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh, I love this, Sadee! The colors and layers are rich and deep and textured. Can't wait to see it finished. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from StudioJRU... love this piece. I enjoy that you showed your process. I am crazy for watercolor, and love the way it has a mind of it's own. Can't wait to see where you take your piece for the finale. thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your encouraging comments on my "Human Heart" watercolor painting! I've put it away for a few days until I can decide whether or not it's finally finished. ;) Think I can make the decision this week and post the final result. Thanks again for visiting my blog; I hope you all had a creative weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post inspired me to grab a piece of watercolor paper, drop in some color and do some back painting. I love "seeing" your process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @JuJuBean So glad you were inspired! Thank you for reading and for taking the time to let me know that you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!