2.11.2011

Into the Wind

"If a bird is flying for pleasure, it goes with the wind. But if the bird meets danger, it turns right around and faces the wind, in order that it may rise higher; and it flies away toward the very sun . . . Obstacles ought to set us singing. The wind finds voice, not when rushing across the open sea . . . but when hindered . . . Then it has songs of power and beauty" (L.B. Cowman, from Streams in the Desert).

Into the Wind WEB

Two-year-old Eowyn is fascinated by sounds. Any little sound--from the ticking of the clock to a leaf-blower outside--causes her to stop short, catch her breath, and whisper, "hear that?" She cups her hand around her ear and tilts her head, still and waiting, listening for the distant sirens, the footsteps from upstairs, the birds singing in the trees.

Sometimes sounds can distract Eowyn enough to avoid a two-year-old meltdown. One day this week she was throwing a tearful fit on the way home from school. The walk is about 3km and feels longer as Eowyn always insists that she must walk too. She walks s-l-o-w-l-y, enjoying herself, stopping to call out to the ducks, to pick up leaves and sticks, to wave at the buses and to contemplate the stairs that lead underground to the U-bahn, to look at piles of dirt and at the big earth-moving machines that made them. I love to watch her wonder and amazement, and I usually don't mind the rambling walk. But on this day I longed for home and warmth and lunch . . . and nap time! 

So I put Eowyn back into the stroller and she was not happy about it. Plus, she was hungry, tired and cold, all of which made her completely inconsolable . . . until we reached the winding, tree-lined path that means home is just around the corner. As we entered the shelter of the trees, we heard the most beautiful birdsong--it was more than just sweet chirping, but a true melody.

In the beauty of that moment Eowyn forgot her troubles and that melody continued as a source of inspiration throughout the entire week. Any time I reminded her of the how the birdie sang, her eyes would instantly brighten and she would forget any oncoming grouchiness.

My daughters are delighted by something a hundred times a day--why have I stored up this specific moment in my heart? I think it is because of how Eowyn's attitude changed immediately upon encountering that beautiful voice of truth. And because that voice may not have been quite as beautiful had it not sung out in a moment of misery.

10 comments:

  1. I really like that picture. Says so much..

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is something special and I dont just say that just because is my daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heart of a child is so beautiful. The wonder and amazement of everything. What a wonderful lesson we can learn. Such a beautiful piece. I love the colors. I am so happy that you joined in our 'sneak peek fridays'. I look forward to seeing more of your creations! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite post ever!! I love it. Eowyn sounds a whole lot like my sweet Tiger. What a joy it is to watch our babies grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming in from Studio JRU - such a beautiful piece with a strong message...glad to have met you and your art work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to meet you too, Jennifer and Cindy!

    Jenny, I know! Whenever I read things you post about Tiger--the things he says and does--I always think he sounds a lot like Eowyn too. What sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah your blog is so sweet and special. It is wonderful that you are doing this blog. Put your memories into pictures and words. I can just see Eowyn doing all those things. She has so many expressions for everything. We miss you all so miss. Waiting for the next blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. Beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the past hour I've spent enjoying travels through your blog. I love your use of color and your sense of whimsy in what you paint and what you write. I wondered if you have done any art tutorials?

    Thanks again, I felt like I should curl up and enjoy a warm cup of chocolate while reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @JuJuBean Thank you for your kindness! I have not done any tutorials yet, it's definitely something that is on my list of ideas and a project I will probably tackle for the new year! :) Thank you again, I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!